How to import contacts from a spreadsheet
Watch a step by step guide on how to import from a CSV file or follow the steps below in the steps outlined.
Watch the Video
- Create and save your delimited file from the source application
- Choose File > Import > Import Delimited Text Data.
- In the import data window, click the Browse and locate the file you want to import
- From the Kind drop-down selector, choose which kind of data you are importing into Daylite.
- Choose whether to separate fields using tabs or commas using the appropriate drop-down selector.
- Disable the checkbox labeled "Field names are on the first line." only if you wish to import data where the 'field names' are not on the first line in your file.
Tip: Do not adjust the Field Wrapper fields unless the data you are importing has specific fields, such as <> or " ".**
Tip: You can add or remote entries by mapping table by clicking the "+" and "-" button at the bottom of the pane
When you select a destination for certain source fields, a Unique checkbox appears. For a value being imported, if you place a check in the 'Unique' checkbox, the importer will check the Daylite database during the import, to see if that value already exists. If an identical value exists in Daylite, that value is not imported into Daylite.
Mapping your import
Please note that if you cannot find an appropriate destination field for any of your source fields, specify your own field name by choosing one of the Extra Fields from the destination list. This field name will be used when you import values into Daylite. (see below example) Then enter a name for each "Extra Field" that you need to create:
Saving a Mapping Profile
Mapping profiles are handy if you import the same type of information on a regular basis.
Once you have made your selections by following the steps above, save a mapping profile by choosing Profile > Save Profile.
￼To load a profile you previously used for a similar import:
- Open the 'Import Delimited data' screen, and choose the file you're importing this time by clicking 'Browse'
- Click once on the Profile button, and you'll see an option to Load Profile. Select this option and choose your mapping profile (the file ends in .dlmap4)
Select Preview to see how the import is mapped
For fields representing dates such as birth date, date last modified, start date, end date etc., choose a date format in the Date Interpretation pop-up menu.
Importing dates require specific formatting. Below is a list of supported format
2013/04/15 10:05:30 -0500
2013/04/15 10:05 -0500